Guardians of the Galaxy
Disclaimer: Spoilers. Kind of. I think. They’re not really spoiler spoilers because they don’t give away much. I sort of allude to stuff. You know what this ain’t my struggle; I’ve seen the film already, you should too.
Peter ‘Starlord’ Quill – Chris Pratt
Ronan The Accuser – Lee Pace*
Gamora – Zoe Saldana
Vin Diesel – Groot
Bradley Cooper – Rocket
Karen Gillan – Nebula
Guardian’s of the Galaxy is a comic space adventure that follows Peter Quill and his misfit team of convicts turned heroes. After Quill discovers a powerful mysterious orb, the Guardians are tasked with keeping it out of the hands of Ronan The Accuser.
As any epic adventure should this flick has drama and danger but not without plenty of good laughs, a little romance, and a jazzy retro soundtrack.
And let’s not forget the deep philosophical message that underpins the film’s narrative: Finders Keepers. Ronan failed to abide by one of life’s golden rules and that was just silly on his part. Frankly, he’s got no one to blame but his sorry blue self for what happens to him at the end. My response: ‘it’s your fault boo boo.’
The trailer. Now that I think about it I can’t recall why I was so against the trailer. I certainly took my sweet time before seeing the film and even then I was forced into it. However, I was right to succumb to pressure because my initial impressions were so wrong.
There were a lot of things I loved about the film:
- Peter Quill, the humorous and likable main character. Peter Quill is essentially Chris Pratt in a costume so really props go to Pratt for just being in the film.**
- The soundtrack. The Awesome Mix Vol. 1 & 2 certainly lived up to their name. Not only did I get to watch a film, I had a nice jam session listening to classic songs from the 70s/ 80s.***
- The comedic aspects delivered often by Rocket and Quill. It came as a surprise to me because the space films I’ve watched don’t tend to be funny. This opinion was based on my previous experience with Gravity. And of course Gravity wasn’t exactly a rib tickler, it was actually quite heavy.****
And with that I bid you farewell with my favourite lines:
- We Are Groot
- Dance off bro, me and you.
- I’m distracting you ya big turd blossom
*The make-up department must have used some next level wizardry to make Lee Pace unattractive
**I feel like his parents deserve a shout out too
***I may or may not have had a dance party in my living room while my family slept…I can feel you judging me but you know what I had myself a good time so…no shame
****That was a thinly veiled pun…Yeah, I don’t know why I did it either.