Disclaimer: Spoilers. Kind of. I think. They’re not really spoiler spoilers because they don’t give away much. I sort of allude to stuff. You know what this ain’t my struggle; I’ve seen the film already, you should too.
Jason Bateman as Nick Wilde
Ginnifer Goodwin as Judy Hopps
Octavia Spencer as Mrs Otterson
Idris Alba as Chief Bogo *
Jenny Slate as Bellwether
Shakira as Gazelle**
Officer Judy Hopps and street-wise Nick Wilde form an unlikely duo as they try to solve the case of a missing otter. During their investigation they discover some predators had devolved into savage primal animals like their predecessors before predators and prey learned to coexist. In the process of working this investigation, a friendship is established between two mammals that are normally on different sides of the law.
- The comedy aspect. Even though it’s an animation and the cinema theatre was packed with children I feel like the humour was still accessible to adults. Dare I say, some of those jokes were even wasted on those children?
- The relationship between Judy and Nick is super cute. It was refreshing to see two friends stay friends during a film; I automatically assumed at some point they would develop a romantic relationship***. Their relationship remained platonic which was the least problematic option otherwise kids would try to ship their pet rabbits with foxes which would be so messy I don’t even want to imagine.
- Nick. he’s slick and cool and I would befriend****. Bateman was a perfect choice to voice this character; he managed to bring the right amount of defiance and lovability to the role which is why he’s my favourite.
- I also thought it was an interesting idea that predators had evolved out of their aggressive nature but some species, like foxes, still face prejudice from society. That concept is very transferable to our own society.
I don’t know why the film has different names in the UK and US but Zootopia is better than Zootropolis. I’m just saying.
Bon Voyage, flat foot
🥕🥕🥕🥕 & ½ a pawsicle
* He would have made such a great James bond *weeps*
** Shakira fans, check out your homegirl’s song in the film
*** Although there was one line at the end that threw me so I chose to ignore it…
****If he was human, I have no business making friends with real foxes.